School Resource Officers are Deputy Sheriffs with full powers of arrest that are assigned to a county school campus by the Sampson County Sheriff’s Office.
Their duties include:
- Provide a safe learning environment for students and staff.
- Provide and coordinate security for school events and investigate any criminal activity that might occur in or around the school in which they are assigned.
- SRO’s often provide presentations to local churches, to various civic organizations, and to other community groups on topics such as child safety.
- They also offer finger printing and DNA clinics for children and their parents to aid law enforcement officials in identifying missing children.
- SRO’s serve as positive role models for students and expose the human qualities of law enforcement to them in order to develop trust.
- SRO's in most cases are the first law enforcement contact that children encounter; therefore it is essential that a positive bond be fulfilled.
A MESSAGE FROM SAMPSON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE SRO’S
Sampson County Sheriffs Office SRO’s pride themselves in their duties. This pride and professionalism is an important part of an SRO’s job and helps deliver a positive message to both students and the community. SRO’s often speak with and encourage students to continue on their educational pathways, while they stress the importance of working in partnership with fellow students. It is the goal of the Sampson County Sheriff’s SRO division to provide a safe learning environment for our students and faculty of Sampson County.