Getting a library card is easy!
Adults (ages 18 and older) living in Sampson County or counties adjacent to us (Bladen, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Johnston, Pender, and Wayne) simply need to bring a photo ID issued by a US governmental agency (driver's license, state ID, student ID) or a passport issued by any country.
Juveniles (ages 5 through 17) living in Sampson County and adjacent counties must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to be issued a library card. Children's cards are issued and linked to a parent or legal guardian who already has a library card with no outstanding account balances or long overdues. If the adult does not have a card, SCPL will issue him/her one before proceeding with the child's.
All other patrons may use the resources in our facilities for free, and we can issue visitor passes to use computers for those not eligible for a library card at the price of $1 per hour.
If you lose your library card, please call 910-592-4153 as soon as possible to let our library staff know. They will put a stop on your card to prevent its use by another person. Library staff members discourage patron’s loaning their cards to another person; however, staff must assume that the person in possession of any library card being used has the permission of its owner. Everything checked out on a card is still the owner’s responsibility--even if you lost your card--so it is vital to contact the library to prevent this happening.
If you would like to know more about our guidelines, please read our Registration and Lending Policy and our Fines, Fees, and Replacement Policy.
By getting a library card, you will have access to:
- Most books may be checked out for 3 weeks.
- Patrons may check out as many books as they wish.
- Late fees for books are $.20 per day per book.
- Patrons with long overdue books or fines will not be able to check out any materials.
- Audiobooks may be checked out for 3 weeks.
- Patrons may check out up to 10 audiobooks at a time.
- Late fees for audiobooks are $1 per day per item.
- DVDS are checked out for 10 days.
- Adult patrons may check out up to 10 DVDS at the same time. Patrons 17 and under may not check out these items.
- Late fees for DVDS are $1 per day per item.
- Magazines may be checked out for 3 weeks.
- Patrons may check out 10 magazines at a time.
- Late fees for magazines are $.20 per day per item.
- SCPL provides access to downloadable content from outside content providers such as Overdrive and NC-LIVE. Click here to view our downloadable content page.
- Each e-content provider sets his own check out and renewal limits.
- No late fees are charged for these items.
- Patrons may renew any item as long as another patron has not put the item on reserve.
- Patrons must renew items before the due date to prevent late fees.
- Patrons may renew by calling or stopping by any library during regular hours or by logging onto their library account online. Please click here for more instructions about online renewals.
And, online materials!
- Overdrive: Downloadable e-books and e-audiobooks
- NC-LIVE: Online magazine articles, Films on Demand, telephone numbers, genealogy resources, homework help, and much, MUCH more.
- Ancestry.com: This resource can only be accessed from within the library, but it is a very valuable resource for anyone interested in researching family history.
In order to use our online services, you will need a PIN to:
- Check out and download e-Book and e-audiobooks.
- Renew your books from home by Internet.
- Request that books be held for you at your local branch.
- Search a variety of databases.
- Use computers at the library.
A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is a four-digit number of your choice attached to your library account. Your PIN allows you to take advantage of these library services. You will choose your PIN when you register for your card. If you already have a library card but do not know your PIN, call your local library or talk to a staff member the next time you visit the library.