217 Graham St. Clinton, NC 28328
Hours of Operation:
The J. C. Holliday Memorial Library was brought to fruition by the efforts of several people. In 1942, Mrs. Holliday gave approximately $40,000 to build a library in memory of her husband, Jesse Claude Holliday, and the money was placed into a trust until such time as land could be obtained and sufficient funds could be raised to build. After many years, Mrs. Mildred Powell donated the land on which the library presently sits in 1978. Five years, later, the library was opened at the cost of just over $530,000, funding for which came from the Holliday trust, the State of North Carolina, the City of Clinton, savings and earnings on investments made by previous library boards, and Sampson County local government. By the terms of the Holliday will, the library was constructed in downtown Clinton and offered 9,600 square feet of space for its patrons.
The library is still the headquarters of the library system and houses the administrative office and technical processing department. The largest collection of materials is located here, including research materials, a specialized local history and genealogy collection, audio books, and DVD's. There is a free public wireless internet connection, 10 public access computers with black and white printing for 20¢ each, and a copy machine for 20¢ for black and white & 50¢ for color. This branch also provides reference & children's services.
Branch Manager: Stephanie Johnson
Children's Librarian: Tiffany Savage