Welcome to Sampson County Animal Shelter’s Volunteer Program! Being a volunteer is extremely rewarding, educational, exciting and fun. You can have a huge impact on the lives of the homeless animals that enter our shelter every day. A purr from a shelter cat or a wagging tail from a homeless dog will touch your heart and bring you back for more. It is a rewarding experience knowing that YOU can make a difference in the lives of these animals. Because of volunteers like you, dogs are walked, cats are cuddled, young, ill or frightened critters can recuperate in foster homes, and pets can find their forever homes through adoption. If you would rather volunteer for tasks that do not directly involve animals, that’s great too! We always need help with clerical duties, fundraising, special events and special projects. No task is too small!
We would like to thank you for choosing to participate in our program. As a volunteer, you are a valuable asset to our organization and to the many animals in our care. The Volunteer Orientation Handbook has been prepared for you as a reference. It contains information regarding volunteer responsibilities, procedures that need to be followed, and ideas on how to make your volunteer time with us safe, fun and beneficial to all.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement and the Shelter Volunteer Agreement Forms and submit them to the Animal Control Office.
"The heart of a volunteer is not measured in size, but by the depth of the commitment to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals." Anonymous
Some of our volunteer opportunities include:
- Helping adopters find the perfect pet
- Socializing animals
- Transporting Animals for Rescue Groups
- Walking dogs
- Photographing animals
- Bathing dogs
- Answering the phones
- Cleaning animal pens/cages
- Foster animals
- Recruit and orient new volunteers
- And more!
If you can’t come in to the shelter, there are many more ways you can help!
- Collect and donate items from our wish list, such as towels, blankets, or enrichment toys for dogs, cats, and other small animals.
- Collect donated items for the animals at SHS in lieu of birthday gifts.
- Donate to rescue groups that are dedicated to saving our animals.
- Save and collect newspapers for our cages.
- Set a positive example by being a responsible pet owner.
- Spread the word about the Sampson County Animal Shelter.
- We welcome your creativity! Use your individual talents and skills to make a difference for animals at the SCAS and in the community!